Spencer Scott Strickland and Katie LaRee McKinney
Sealed September 17,2011

Friday, March 30, 2012

Marriage that Bwessed Arrangement

September was a crazy month full of so much joy!
Before the Arkansas reception we took a new family picture. It has everyone except Eldon, he is my baby brother who I am super close to, he is serving in the SLC south mission for our church.


I love these people and must say it was great having them all together to celebrate with me.

 I must thank Spencer's Aunt Liz for getting this picture taken of all of Spencer's family together they are missing Spencer's oldest sister Sunell and her family; they live in California.  


Things did get a little messy...but that happens at a BBQ? Right?? I had such a good evening with many people who had taught, loved, and raised me in the gospel.


Wowzers getting married was an awesome crazy thing. Our Arkansas reception turned out great....all those years of being single and I still had no idea what I really wanted..plan now...and now 6 months later I can tell you it really does not matter what is on your tables or other decor at the reception. You just don't realize how much it doesn't matter until later. Our colors were red and black which matched our announcement and inadvertently the Razorbacks ( we have a growing collection or Razorback decor for our Razorback nursery).
It was great to meet so many of Spencer's relatives who came to our reception. His Aunt Liz and Uncle George came up from Tallahassee, FL  (they live in my step grandpa's ward) . It was a fun BBQ catered by "uncle Nels" and "Nelsy" aka Nels Jr.

    Our wedding weekend was just what we wanted all of our families together. We all drove over to Memphis (Spencer and I took a pit stop to get the marriage licence) . We stayed at the La Quinta and had a pool party Friday night with Spencer's siblings and mine. We had a blast spending time together. My nephew Jacob with Down Syndrome loves to swim and he and Spencer are big buddies. Spencer's calling when we met was to be Jacob's "primary buddy" for church. He was so good with Jacob! I loved him the minute I saw the two of them together!!

The temple sealing was a most joyous occasion! We were sealed by President Nebekur, we share a wedding anniversary, we were introduced at Stake Conference when I spoke with Elder Christofferson who was visiting our stake..it was nerve wracking and exciting all at once. Before we went to the sealing room I was sitting in the brides room and was just so grateful this day had finally arrived. I knew that my loving Heavenly Father had promised me that it would. I had the most peaceful, grateful, calm feelings.

 I'll never forget the smile on Spencer's face or the tears running down our mother's faces. It was great to have our family their too! My poor grandparents were falling apart during that time and none of them could make it.

 Our honeymoon was fast and furious! We drove to Utah and had 3 days there and drove home. We stayed in Anniversary Inns and Suites; in the Swiss Family Robinson room...tree house. ( It is tradition --all the McKinney siblings have stayed here on our honeymoon)

    I had such a fun time showing Spencer around Utah; old mission places, temple square, old apartments and a few historical places. Spencer even made the news as a first timer to see the SLC temple in person. It was neat.


.  I have to give a huge no gigantic shout out to my mom's mom's sisters Aunt Marie and Aunt Gerrie for all their help!! We used their ward building and it was just great, they helped mom and my mom in law Sue decorate, food, shop ...everything! Our Utah reception was perfectly small and intimate with people who mean so much to us who we hadn't seen in years, it really was touching to see so many come out and celebrate with us.
          Several people I worked with on my mission came and it was so wonderful and a powerful spiritual experience to share this joyous event in my eternal life with people who I had helped put on a path to eternal life. FULNESS OF JOY that was exactly what I felt as I saw the Praags and Allens and others. Also several of my dad's relatives came his sister Mickey and two of her kids Robby and Richard. I haven't seen those McKinney cousins in years and it was just marvelous to see them and see their adorable children.
  I love this picture! This is the McDonald's, Beth McDonald was a second mom to me when we lived in Pennsylvania and her youngest daughter Molly and her baby girl Reese. Like I said it was such an intimate wonderful open house and I thoroughly enjoyed it.      






We got to go to conference me with mom and Spencer got to go to Priesthood session. It was a marvelous time. One night after a dead cell phone and some meeting up frustrations (wedded bliss isn't quite always blissful is it? =0)...we went up to THE ROOF to eat and on the weekends you have to have a reservation which we didn't have (more frustration and I was on the verge of tears) but a table opened up and we ended up having  a sensational meal with a simply superb view of the temple.

I love being married to Spencer Scott Strickland! He is such a wonderfully sweet and thoughtful man. He makes my days brighter and my nights warmer, no more bedtime prayers for someone to love and cherish. The Lord answered that prayer in such a miraculous way, He lives and loves us, this I know!!
          September was a whirlwind or wonderfulness! Stay tuned for the FALL of October....when things went crazy...literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment